12.05.2014

American Heritage Girls - Joining Ceremony, Slumber Party and Caroling

Kensley has been looking forward to her American Heritage Girls joining ceremony since the day we started back in August.
Badges/awards are only given just twice a year so it's extra special to see their hard work pay off.

Kensley's unit number is 1816 which represents Luke 18:16
"Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

AHG OATH:
"I promise to love God, c
herish my family, honor my country, and serve in my community."


Before the ceremony we went out to dinner to get the celebration started off on the right foot... with tortilla chips of course!
Kensley, who is totally goal-driven, gladly accepted her badges and replied, "My Mama has lots of sewing to do!"
I'm going to try Badge Magic first... because sewing thick badges isn't my favorite.
We.  Are.  So.  Proud.  Of.  Kensley.
American Heritage Girl is totally her thing.  It's what she constantly thinks and talks about.

My heart hurt a little knowing that some other Mamas didn't work with their girls
 and they wouldn't be getting any badges and I didn't want them to leave empty handed.  
My Dad was able to help me edit a little girl clipart and make personalized bottle cap necklace pendants.
They were simple to make; just strung on silver sparkle ribbon but the girls were thrilled to see their names on their necklaces!


\

{Kensley and Jaeli getting ready for the flag ceremony}
See those boxes in the background?  They were for Operation Christmas Child; Kensley had so much fun filling her box of favorites to send overseas. 


At one of their September meetings, the girls worked on making Veteran's Day cards!



The troop held a Slumber Party; most girls didn't spend the night so it was more like a pajama party!


The girls worked on Christmas Cards for the men living at the Veteran's home in a nearby town. 

The older girls in the troop hosted a little carnival in the gym for the younger ones;
I love how serving others is built into the requirements!



The most recent AHG event was this week!  The girls met at a Veteran's home and sang Christmas carols.
Kensley even had a speaking part; guess it pays to read well at a young age.

The girls worked diligently to sew pillow cases so that each Veteran would receive one as a small token of our appreciation
for their service and gave each person a special handmade Christmas card they made at the Slumber Party.

I strongly encourage you to see if there is an American Heritage Girls troop in your area.
We drive quite a long way to attend the meetings and activities but the AHG mission is building women of integrity through service to God, family,
community and country... and that my friends, is priceless.  Your young girls are worth the investment of your time; their futures depend on it!

No comments: