10.06.2014

Classical Conversations Cycle 3 - Week 6

This week's history theme was, hands down, our favorite!

We learned about the Louisiana Purchase, including Lewis & Clark and Davy Crockett. 
I'm totally embracing these younger years because I realize before too long,
dressing up as historical characters won't be the coolest thing ever... 
but until then... are going to live it up.


Now, it's time for me to introduce you to the CUTEST Davy Crockett you'll ever see!
{That's a BB gun with the safety on, so there is no need to panic}


Kensley had to get in on the action as well.  {I hardly recognize her without pink and/or ruffles!}

Yep!  I totally let the kids go in character to the library; just another perk of homeschooling, 

This next game was such an awesome activity for Kensley.
Please head on over to Relentlessly Fun, Deceptively Educational and download this free entertaining westward bound game.  
I can't begin to imagine the amount of work she poured into this project; all you have to supply is the paper.

Instead of using a simple game pieces, I quickly built "Lewis and Clark" Lego men to use. 
Depending on where you land, the coorresponding card gives you some historical information, and your next step in the game. 
(Move forward, move backwards or stay)

 Still on the westward theme, I created cute little snacks after we discussed the Oregon Trail.

For science this week we learned about digestion.  There are magnitudes of fun videos to watch for the kids, 
but our family's favorites were by The Magic School Bus and Beakman's World!

Now that the kids had a better idea of digestion, we copied Karen's idea from Science Matters
and did a little FUN hands-on learning!  {You'll want to bookmark her blog; so many great, yet simple, ideas!}

This experiment was super simple and fail-proof.
Take some saltine crackers and place them into a container.
Have the kids break them up (chewing = mechanical digestion)
Then, have the kids pour a clear soda in the container (stomach acid = chemical digestion)
Allow them to stir the solution and make observations of how food is broken down and digested.

Kensley was quick to inform me that the digested crackers looked nasty, but she kept eating our supplies!

We are still working on memorizing all of the states and capitals for geography.  

 My mom recently went to the Amish country and brought the kid's back alphabet pretzels.
 Kensley enjoyed spelling out the states with one of her favorite yummy treats!

If you are a Classical Conversations family, please check out my previous posts for more fun ideas.


CC Week 5          CC Week 4               CC3 Week 3               CC3 Week 2               CC Week 1

2 comments:

Deceptively Educational said...

Thanks SO much for sharing our Lewis & Clark game! Your daughter might also like my Louisiana Purchase game: http://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com/2014/10/louisiana-purchase-geography-game.html. Thanks again!

aurie good said...

I love this! I'm glad that you are a week ahead of us, and I can borrow a FEW IDEAS :) We have CC today and I am SO looking forward to getting back into the groove!