5.17.2013

Ephesians 4:29

Despite not remembering much of my childhood (2 head traumas in a year will do that to ya')
I do remember the 'popular' girls loudly whispering talking about me behind my back.

The things that they said in 3rd grade haunted me.
By 6th grade I had 0% self-confidence.  No, take that back, try NEGATIVE 0%.

Whoever said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words may never hurt me"
is a bold.  faced.  liar.  Yep.  I feel pretty strongly about that one!

20 years later I still think about the mean, degrading and untrue things spoken over me.

Our words are so powerful; I want our children to learn early on that our tongues are to be used to build others up.

Wild daisies are everywhere in West Virginia right now.
I picked some at the end of our road and brought them home for a simple life lesson.
As the kids added food coloring to their water, I explained that the dye represented their words.
Even though they may say "sorry" they can never take back their hurtful words.
 Over the next 2 days, we witnessed the transformation in the appearance of their flowers.
Even when the dyed water was removed and replaced with clean water,
the flowers still showed the proof of the 'hurtful words' in their pasts.

I hope this 'science experiment' as Kensley called it, sticks with the kids and when they are tempted
 to say unkind things they will remember how quickly the once pure white daisies became tainted.

"When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need - words that will
help others become stronger.  Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you."

Ephesians 4:29 (NCV)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Love your "experiment". Such a valuable lesson to learn early on. Words are so powerful and so many times are used for destruction. I still remember things that were said to me as a child that stings just as much today as it did back then.