1.13.2013

Happy Valentine's Day { Part 1 }

Kensley's latest cycle has been all about holidays.
The day after Christmas she was ready to celebrate Valentine's Day.
We have found it easier just to play along; I've been loving it.
As I've said before, my Mom always made holidays very special for us.
I hope, when our kids are older, they will say the same thing about me.

I have really been making a conscious effort to do things with the kids and enjoy them when we are home. 
Our schedule has been so hectic lately, it sure has been nice to actually be home once in a while for a change.

Here's a little peak at some of the activities that we have been doing.

Heart Crayons

1. Soak crayons in water.
2. Remove the wrappers.
3. Cut crayons into small peices.
4. Place the pieces of crayon into the desired shape pan.
5. Bake at 250 degree for 10-15 or until they become a colorful liquid.
6. Remove from the oven and place in freezer to cool and pop out of their molds.

Mini Heart Rice Krispie Treats

Open a few premade Rice Krispie treats and used a mini heart shape cookie cutter.
Add sprinkles, or in our kids cases, LOTS of sprinkles.
This idea is so quick, easy and cheap!

Valentine's Day Apron

After Lucinda invited the kids over for a hot chocolate party, Kensley has been asking for a Valentine's Day inspired apron.
I stopped by Lucinda's house, picked up some of her aprons, found a few ideas I liked on Pinterest, bought some fabric and got started...
without a pattern.
Total, it took right around 4.5 hours to complete from start to finish.
It was actually easy to sew... just time consuming.
{Then again, I'm new to sewing.}
** Yes, I kept my cell phone close by just in case I needed to call my mom. **
Kensley was so excited when she woke up the next morning and found her apron on the kitchen table.

With great glee in her voice she told me she was going to go to heaven and make muffins for Jesus.
Trying not to crush her sensitive spirit, I talked her into making pink cupcakes for her Pop Pop.
So... at 7:11 in the morning, I found myself in the kitchen baking with my new little helper.
Isn't that measuring cup just adorable?!?
I found the set at Dollar General for $1 - check your local store!
I just love this little guy's enthusiasm.
Yes folks.  She ate not one but TWO cupcakes...thank you Jesus for another breakthrough.
But our blessing gets even more sweet.

Keep reading.

Kensley told me that she would help more in the kitchen if she had an apron.
We have baked muffins at least four times... and SHE ATE THEM ALL FOUR TIMES.
Yes, I see myself creating an apron for every upcoming holiday and I'm totally cool with it!

Valentine's Day Gak

The kids have enjoyed making a lot of Gak creations...
... and I have not enjoyed washing a lot of Gak supplies by hand.

DIRECTIONS
1. In one bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups warm water with some food coloring.
Next add 8 oz of white glue (2 small bottles)

2. In a second bowl, mix 1 1/3 cups of warm water and 3 teaspoons of Borax.

3. Pour the Borax solution into the bowl of colored water/glue mixture.
Stir gently.  The glue is still a liquid but it stays together. 
Within a few seconds it will begin to turn rubbery
and you can stick your hand in the bowl to mix. 

4. Gather the glob of Gak in your hands while standing over a sink
and work it a little with your fingers for about 30 seconds
until all the liquid dissolves and it turns very rubbery.

5. Store in air tight container.


Conversation Heart School



Pattern Painting



Chocolate Play Doh
  
Ingredients:
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    ½ cup salt
    2 tsp. cream of tartar
    1 TBSP. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 cup water
    1 ½ TBSP. vegetable oil
Directions:
  1. In a saucepan, whisk together the flour, salt, cream of tartar and cocoa.
  2. Add water and oil to dry mixture and whisk until smooth and blended.
  3. Place saucepan over low heat and stir continuously until it forms a ball – about 5 minutes.
  4. Remove dough from saucepan onto a mat and knead it several times while warm.
  5. Play immediately with dough or store in a sealed container for later play.

2 comments:

Christy K. said...

How in the world do you have time for all of this???!!!

Everything looks sooo cute!

Brandy Compston said...

These are great ideas to use in my classroom. Thanks for sharing all your creative ideas. They look really fun.