12.07.2012

Her Style Is Rubbing Off On Him

We were headed out the door.
I had the kids dressed and ready.
We were going to make it to Kensley's appointment.
On time.
All was going well.

Then. 
The phone rang.
It was an important call.
I had to take it.

I answered the phone.
I had a conversation that lasted no more than 4 minutes.

Towards the end of the conversation I heard Kensley say,
"Want to come to the beach party with us?"

Unsure who or what she is talking about, I ignore her.

I finish my phone call to find the kids dressed in their swim gear...
and talking to the cable guy through the kitchen window.
{Our tv and internet have been out intermittent for over a month
so the cable guy is a familiar face the kids have grown to recognize}

Grrrrrrr - being on time totally just flew out of the window!
 Life is about choices.  I try to let our kids make their own decisions when feasible.

Today, Nolan made the decision that he wanted to wear his swimming shirt and swimming trunks to Charleston. 
I shoved on a pair of tennis shoes and out the door we flew.

Yes, patrons at Home Goods looked twice and then rolled their eyes.
Yes, I'm aware that it is 40 degrees outside and he could get sick.
Yes, I'm also aware that I am the one that has to take care of him if he gets sick... not them!

I will admit that I keep a strict schedule organizing our house.
When it comes to the battle of the clothes... I turn my cheek.
I have bigger fish to fry and larger fires to put out.

Life is about priorities.  Letting our kids express themselves is at the top of my list!

No comments: