11.08.2012

She. Proved. Them. Wrong.

It's not very often I feel the need to jump on my soap box and brag about my kids.
 
Everyone loves their kids. 
Everyone thinks their kids are great. 
Everyone thinks their kids are cute.
Everyone thinks their kids are smart.

I am no different.
I try to keep the bragging sessions down to a minimum, but today,
I'm left with no choice other than to publicly brag on Kensley... and our awesome God

Our.  Kid.  Rocks. 

One of Kensley's teachers from church, Rose, has been singing at the local nursing home every Wednesday at 11:00. 
We were encouraged to support Rose, so we showed up with homemade cards to pass out. 
The first week Rose asked Kensley to sing.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. 

I just knew she wouldn't.

Yah Right.  Come on. 

This is the kid that groups over 8 make her anxious.
There was clearly about 35 people in the room.

It.  Was.  Never.  Going.  To.  Happen.

Out of nowhere she jumps off her chair and runs to the front.
{Never say never right?}

She was beaming.  She had a sparkle in her eyes.
Eyes that looked directly at the men and women and not just off to the side.
A smile that stretched over her entire face.
A special poise about how she carried herself.
A confidence that I had never witnessed.

Bawling like a baby... and remember I'm an ugly crier... I watched her sing.

It seemed in an instant all the labels, diagnosis and low expectations vanished. 

She wasn't anxious.  She wasn't nervous. 
She wasn't wearing ear plugs or covering her ears.
She wasn't rocking.  She wasn't spinning.

She was singing for Jesus.
 
 
I wasn't sure if it was a fluke or not.
Kensley has always been very inconsistence, so you just never know.
Wednesday rolled around and we went back.

On the car ride there I asked her why she wanted to go.
She told me, "Those people don't feel very well - they just need to smile".

And that's just what they did!

This time with a larger crowd present, close to 50 people,
Kensley sang not one but FOUR songs for them.
At the end, the kids passed out their Halloween candy
to those who could have it and gave hugs to all of the residents.

In that moment I felt like I was really teaching my kids.
Not about reading, writing, or arithmetic, but rather about what really matters.

About putting others first.  About true joy.
  {Yes, I think Rose is just as pround of her as we are.}

When you give her a microphone, she is a different kid.

These pictures are my proof. 

Proof that she can do more than some ever predicted.

I can't wait to see what she proves them wrong on next!

4 comments:

Melinda said...

Yay Kensley!! What an awesome kid you have and I'm so glad she proved her Mama wrong :-)

Dana Kangas said...

That is so awesome, CaSandra!!! Praise God.

Christy K. said...

What an awesome and HUGE hurdle to overcome! Way to go, Kensley! And, praise Jesus!

☆Sara☆ said...

absolutely amazing!!! I got all emotional reading this blog!! Your daughter was definitely created for something special and God us already using her little spirit to work magic in other peoples lives. Simply amazing!! You should be proud of yourself too, you and rob are pretty awesome parents!!