5.08.2011

I don't know where to begin this post; too many thoughts rambling around in my head.


This is NOT how I envisioned spending my Mother's Day. I've grown to not anticipate getting a craft, card, or flowers from Rob. Not even so much as a "Happy Mother's Day" as of yet... it's currently 8:49 p.m. But I'm not dwelling on that, especially after the day we've had.

Rewind to early this morning.

Nolan woke up... coughing... again. It quickly became aparant that he was not breathing well. I immediately sped off for the ER, solo, almost an hour away. I called my parents, screaming in fear for my little boy. I'm sure they felt helpless; they are vacationing 6 hours away.  Looking back, probably not the best idea to totally freak them out, but at that moment, I just felt alone... and knew that they'd answer the phone, even if I called in the middle of the night.

I drove faster than I've ever drove before. The conditions were horrible. It was dark, raining, foggy, and I knew to watch for deer. I kept pulling over to check if Nolan was still breathing. Once the wheezing stopped; I was left with no other option but to call an ambulance. They quickly snatched him up and took off... I desperately was trying to keep up with them and watch what was being done through the 2 little glass doors on the back.

Hysterical is an understatement. I didn't even get to tell them his name. I remind you, his name means "Fighter". There was a reason we chose it - he's been a fighter from the beginning. Last night was no different.

By the time we got to the ER, the ambulance driver told the nurses he couldn't get good chest sounds and that Nolan was the most energetic kid he'd ever saw. They asked me if I fed him a gallon of Kool-Aid. My warning of his high fructose corn syrup allergy must have slipped their mind. {Yes, he's going to be just like his Daddy}

After heal pricks, RSV and Influenza cultures, chest x-rays and more blood work, we then spent hours waiting for a diagnosis.

Nolan has viral pneumonia/upper respiratory infection.

I expected to grab at least an hour of sleep before Kensley awoke. I returned home at 6:30 am to find that Kensley was already up.

We now have TWO kids that are sick, being parented by TWO sleep-deprived individuals. Not sure what the next step is... surviving through the night, I guess.  I am THRILLED that my Aunt brought us dinner.  If you are ever wanting to do something nice for someone in need, try taking them an easy meal to heat up.

Please lift up our entire family in prayer; we know that God is our strength, but tonight my weary body fears the night ahead.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ...who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

6 comments:

Melinda said...

prayers going up for you and the family! must be in the air because addie's ran a temp all day. hoping all our kids sleep well tonight...hoping the parents do too!!

kangascommune said...

I couldn't imagine the stress level watching your child go into an ambulance. Hope you guys are doing better this morning.

Lord, I don't always understand your ways. I don't know why my friend has to suffer, but I trust you. I ask that you look with mercy and grace toward my friend. Nourish her spirit and soul in this time of suffering and comfort her with your presence. Amen.

Rachel said...

Will be praying for you and the family! I feel for ya. Sorry to hear you didn't have a good mother's day. I dealt with my youngest one wheezing too all fall and winter long, and my middle child too a few years ago. I caught on quick too on how to tell if he's wheezing and when to take him to the dr. Breathing treatment usually works great for him without seeing a dr. Yet last time he was breathing too fast before we could tell he was even wheezing. Our middle child outgrew it after one year. Sure hope yours does too! Hope you have a better day too...maybe Rob will make it up to you.

Tony said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tony said...

Keeping you guys in our thoughts and prayers...
Wishes for a speedy recovery (both of them!), a peaceful nights rest.. :))
Sending many (BigHugs) your way!!!!

Lateshia said...

PRAYERS COMING YOUR WAY! We have done the three kids with pneumonia (and I had it at the same time...) I feel for you guys. Loves and hugs to your sweet family.