2.05.2010

Smarty Pants... That's My New Name!

Considering the circumstances, we request that nothing be posted on Facebook
regarding this topic until we decide to announce it at a later date
when things settle down and are more stable.

If you're wondering what happened that earned me the new nickname

"Smarty Pants"

wonder no more!

My Dad actually gave it to me...

... just moments after we revealed the little "trick" we had up our sleeves!

After suffering the loss of a recent miscarriage, we hadn’t expected to become pregnant so soon!

The previous weeks were filled with so many emotions, I just assumed it was my
hormones out of whack and simply over-looked all of the tale tale signs.

I told Rob, "I can't be pregnant; I feel too good, I haven't felt this good since..."

{ and then it hit me }

"... since I was pregnant with Kensley!"

Hmmm… since I felt great, I decided to take a test just for kicks!

The next day, I took a cheap pregnancy test.

I glanced down; didn’t see the second positive line
and threw it in the trash and walked out of the bathroom.

Later in the day, I thought I would re-check it just in case
and there was a very faint positive line.

I pulled the instructions back out of the trash… and thought to myself,
“Oh, no! I’m one of THOSE one in four women who misread
a pregnancy test that my friend Corey jokes about.”

Wait a minute! 

It’s not that I can’t read it - I just never saw the test say positive
within the first few minutes that the results were supposed to appear!

After reading the directions {again} it stated that results were only good for 10 minutes.
Well, isn’t that convenient?  I took the test HOURS before!

Still in denial, I didn’t give it much more thought until later that evening,
when I confessed my inability to read a SIMPLE pregnancy test to Rob.

He looked down at the test and said,
“Looks like you have a baby in your belly”
 
with a smirk on his face.

 Just to make sure that we weren’t pregnant
(if would be too good to be true to become pregnant
so quickly considering all of my medical issues)
I headed back to Dollar General after yet again, another pregnancy test.

I woke up in the middle of the night and took the second test.

Well… I didn’t see much of a result…
so stood in the bathroom for 10 minutes,
then looked at it again, and saw the same crazy faint line!

So, I got back in bed.

Too many thoughts were racing through my mind to sleep,
so I got in the truck and drove to Walmart.

(FYI: I got in the truck at 2:38 – the exact time Kensley was born,
so that should have been an ironic give-away, but it wasn’t!)

I entered Walmart, in my pajamas of course,
and stood in awe of the selections of pregnancy tests.

I kept telling myself, “Seriously, how hard can this be?
You are either pregnant or you're not – it’s a simple yes or no”.

I stood there (for what felt like forever) and kept looking at my options and finally decided that I would splurge and get a digital test… after all, Corey couldn’t classify me as the
“one in four women who misread a pregnancy test” if it said Pregnant or Not Pregnant.

After returning home, I snuck back into the house
while everyone was still sleeping and took another test.

Results were supposed to appear in 3 minutes…. almost instantly the test said...  
At last, the wondering could be laid to rest… YES, we pregnant!

I tried to go back to sleep; yah right!

Sleep!  In a time like this?  There would be NO time to sleep!

I got up, took pictures.  Just so you know, digital pregnancy tests only show results for 24 hours.
(To my defense, the cheap pregnancy tests results were not initially this dark)
THIRD TIME'S A CHARM!

I finally grew tired and laid down just in time to hear the alarm go off.
Rob and I spoke for a few moments and at 5:38 a.m.
(the same exact time I announced our pregnancy with Kensley)
I told Rob he was going to be a Daddy again!

Rob’s reaction this time was excited; we’ve done this before, and feel more prepared.

Together, we agree, it is a little scary to think of having to divide our love
between Kensley and the new baby, but as my friend Jessica said years ago,
when you have another baby, your love isn’t divided it’s multiplied!

When Kensley woke up, I told her that Mama loved her and that she was going to be a big sister!

I might as well spoke to her in Chinese,
because she looked at me with a crazy face
as if she didn’t have a clue what I was saying!

Later that morning, I began to clear out the guest room closet
(you know, as if I didn’t have 8 more months to worry about nesting).

Transitioning the guestroom into a nursery shouldn’t be a hard task
as we’ve never really used the room and have been cautious
not to use it as a storage room to catch our clutter,
hoping that one day down the road, it would be a nursery!

**********

Rob wanted Kensley to make the announcement, so we ordered her a shirt.


Dad picked Kensley up from our house to babysit and we had her coat on and ready to go!
When they later arrived home at my parents house, my Mom figured it out before
she could even get Kensley's coat unzipped.

That's when the nickname Smarty Pants was lovingly given to me.

But, as for Rob's mom...
Well, she knows I'm a bargain hunter and just
assumed I got the shirt for a good deal!  Silly Nana!

An hour later, my sister-in-law arrived, and before she could even make it through the door,
she teared up and was hugging me!  (We knew we could count on Lisa)

We have decided not to make our pregnancy public right now
{another reason for deciding to make the blog private}
not wanting too many people to know in case things went wrong.

**********
That fear quickly became a reality when I started spotting Thursday evening. 

We went to the Doctor's office first thing Friday morning,
where Mom and I saw a glimpse of the little miracle growing inside of me!
At 5 weeks, 5 days gestation our baby measured 3 cms...
about the size of a pencil eraser!

After seeing the heartbeat, I felt very relieved. 

But the warm and cozy feeling quickly left me when I later learned that the sac
that surrounds the baby was "irregular shaped" and was the origin of the bleeding.

The phlebotomist drew my blood and I was scheduled to return on Monday
to check my HcG levels to confirm if they were increasing.

My parents generously offered to keep Kensley (again)
so that I could take it easy and get as much rest as possible.
I have NO idea what we would do if they weren't so willing to help!

The weekend seemed to slowly drag on minute by minute. 
It probably didn't help I was stuck on "Couch Duty"
which, for the record, isn't as fun as it may sound,
and simply listened to the clock tick... minute by minute.

It left me with too much time to think... wonder... and worry...
but thankfully I found comfort in this verse.

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted
me what I have asked of him."

1 Samuel 1:27

I know that God wouldn't put more on me than I could handle,
but I felt the urge to inform Him just how weak I was feeling.

The loss of the first baby hurt... it hurt bad...
but if we lost this baby as well... it would be devastating!

**********
Monday morning {finally} came and I anxiously arrived
at the doctor's office as soon as they opened.

The phlebotomist, once again, drew my blood and informed me
that she would call me later in the afternoon once the results were back.

Hours later I received "the call" and eagerly listened to the message;
ready to cry and fearing the worst.

It was exactly what we wanted, or I needed, to hear!

Yes, we were still pregnant... and my HcG levels were continuing to climb!

But... the words I heard on Friday still haunted me, and dampened my mood;
"if you're going to lose the baby... you'll lose the baby no matter what."I'm not really a fan of sugar-coating the truth, but still...
that's not exactly what a raging, hormonal pregnant woman,
who's recently lost a baby, wants to hear!

This good news lifted my spirits a bit, but I knew that we weren't "safe" yet.

I was scheduled to return for another ultrasound on Friday.

It was a VERY long week on light duty/bed rest, but my parents came to the rescue.

They helped grocery shop, run errands, babysit,
fold laundry, wash dishes, clean/organize our house,
listened to numerous... and pointless phone calls... the list could go on and on!

The story now flash-forwards to today!
"You are the God who performs miracles;you display your power among the peoples."
Psalm 77:14

I had my ultrasound and guess what? 

They baby (still) has a heart beat...
one that was regular enough to even been documented!

136 b/p/m

The baby measures 6 weeks, 5 days and is 7.7 cm big.

My official due date has been changed to September 26, 2010!

{and for those of you detail-seeking readers... I gained a pound this week}

There is still some concern over some reamaining blood around the sac the baby is in,
so I am scheduled to return for another scan in 2 weeks and are
supposed to be taking it easy and being careful until further notice!

When I joked with the ultrasound tech, "This is going to be a LONG pregnancy, huh?"
She said with little hesitancy, "Yah, it probably will."

Gender does not matter to us, but my sister-in-law thinks that we're having a GIRLbecause she's a fighter already... time will tell!

So, tonight, Mom and Dad are watching Kensley and Rob and I
are celebrating the miracle of our itty bitty with homemade pizza for dinner!

(No, Mom, I'm not over-doing it, but I'm craving Chef Boyardee's famous goodness)I have decided to share this journey with you, my family, friends and blog readers,
so that when I have days that I need a listening ear, you'll know where I'm coming from...
and a way to track this baby's pregnancy.

I have yet to complete Kensley's baby book... they say you always do worse
with Baby #2, so at least I'll have my blog!  Ha Ha

All together now; say it with me...
God is good all the time, all the time God is good!

8 comments:

Kanko's Wife said...

I have tears in my eyes! God is good :)

Ina said...

We are SO happy for you all!! Can't wait to meet the newest Winter addition :)

Lateshia said...

I KNEW IT! As soon as you said it would be worth while!! YEAH! I AM SO DANGGONE EXCITED FOR YOU GUYS! Can't wait to see more updates!

Eliott, Kayla and Lucas said...

O my Gosh Congrats and we will be praying for you and that little pea pod.. Your making me wanna have another lol..Im glad we get to take this journey with you..

Kelli said...

Congratulations!!! Brad and I will be praying for you and your little one :)

Nancy said...

I am going to keep praying until I hold my newest "itty bitty" in my arms. God is good!

Justin and Lisa said...

I can't think of a better family for itty bitty! Congrats to all 4 of you :)

Jamie said...

God is so good! I'm so happy for you all! How exciting! I will be praying for you and the baby! I'm glad you invited me to ride this roller coaster with you! hehe! Oh, and about the comment "if your going to lose it your going to..."I heard the same thing and you are right it is not what you want to hear. It didn't make me any more prepared but it did help me to just put it in Gods hands and know that there was nothing I could do about it. God is going to take care of you and this baby! I'm so excited for you all! Congrats again!!!