11.13.2009

A Typical Sugar Cookie With An Atypical Taste!

Meet my newest invention...
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP
ICE CREAM COOKIES!

(No, there's no ice cream involved,
but that's just what they taste like to me)
First, make regular sugar cookies in any shape you like.

Oooops! Don't have a scrumptious recipe of your own?

That's okay!

I now present to you my Mom's old friend, Debbie Sweeley's tried and true, no-fail, sugar cookie recipe.

Preheat oven to 375

1 1/3 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 t.vanilla
2 eggs
8 t. milk
4 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Cream shortening, sugar & vanilla.
Add eggs.
Beat until light and fluffy.
Stir in milk.

Sift in dry ingredients. Blend into creamed mixture.

Divide dough in half and let chill in fridge for 1 hour.

Roll into 1/8" thickness on floured surface.

Bake on Pampered Chef stones for 6-8 mins. at 375 degrees.
Let the cookies cool. While you are doing that, enjoy the wonderful smell of your kitchen... almost like Christmas, huh?

Open bag of Andes morsels and grab a handful... a big handful... someone has to have to job of "quality control" right?

After you have devoured that handful of mints,
snack on another one!

Okay, seriously... it's now time to frost the cookies!
This frosting is on sale this week at Galaxy (formerly known as Copes in Ravenswood) for $1 a tub!
Sure, I didn't need sprinkles for this project, but they were the same price, with or without, so I thought I could use them for another yummy treat down the road!

(Don't laugh; my frugal ways is what allows me to get to stay at home)

(I added just a smidge of green gel food coloring to my frosting, to go along with the "mint" theme)

Want to make these cookies, but don't have any frosting?

Well, I have you covered there too!

FROSTING

3 c. powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 t. vanilla
1 T. milk ** Add by teaspoon to desired thickness
Next, grab another handful of morsels and sprinkle the extras on your cookies.

There you have it; sugar cookies that taste like
mint chocolate chip ice cream!

So... if I had time to bake 5+ dozen sugar cookies and decorate them... do you wonder what Kensley did during that time?
Clue #1
She learned how to open a Ziplock bag (she typically just carries the baggie full of Fruit Loops around for fun) and decided to make herself a snack while watching her new Tinker Bell movie.
They were strung everywhere by the time I was able to get the {almost burning} cookies out of the oven!
And when I mean everywhere... I mean everywhere!

Here, I found her stash behind the couch...
... and of course, there were some in her "window seat"!

So if my next post is titled, "HOW TO CATCH A MOUSE" we will all know that she must have hid more, that I haven't found yet!

1 comment:

Ina said...

That's what our house looks like, only w/ popcorn!