11.10.2009

Half Baked...

Now that my brother and sister-in-law are half way through their pregnancy, it brings back memories to when we were just half way through our pregnancy.

Mom came up with the clever idea of throwing us a "Half Baked Baby" party where we revealed Kensley's name. Although the guest list was kept to a minimum at that time, I thought I'd thought I'd share with you today, the letter I wrote to the special person that Kensley is named after, my Dad.

You have been the most influential person in my life! I am thankful that Mom chose to marry a man who was such a wonderful role model and someone that made sacrifice after sacrifice to provide me with a better life than the one that you may have had.

Being a parent sometime seems like a thankless job, but I want you to know that I truly appreciate all that you have done for me, to mold me into the person I am today. From camping as a child, to supporting me at dance/sporting events as a teen, to teaching me the importance of managing money as an adult, I am grateful for all of the “life-lessons” that you have taught me from your own experiences, and the ones that you let me learn on my own. As I begin this new chapter in my life as a parent, I look forward to reaching out to you for your wisdom.

Because my life wouldn’t be the same without you, Rob and I are naming the baby, Kensley, after you. Every time you look at her, please let her serve as a reminder of just how grateful I am for the difference you made and continue to make in our lives. She is truly a miracle, just the same as it’s a miracle that I ended up with a Dad as special as you!


After the tears were dried, and hugs were shared, we enjoyed some cookies made by me, espically for this emotional ocasion.
Yes, I felt the need to include "name tags" so that my Dad would:
1) Remember her name
2) Remember how to spell it!

I am glad that Rob was cooperative enough to allow me to name her after my family, because I know one day all too soon my Dad will no longer be with us, but his legacy through Kensley will remain forever!

DISCLAIMER: Dad if you're reading this... you have to be at her wedding... and she's not allowed to get married until she's 40, so you still have lots of memories to make :)

No comments: